The Latest Impact Report
Quarter Impact Report
Find out more..
Cheka Sana latest quarter impact report reflecting on key achievements and milestones for the charity, street-connected children and youth and the families it supports.
Every year thousands of children across East Africa run away or are forced to leave homes that have become unbearable through poverty, abuse, violence and neglect.
Reaching a child as soon as possible is crucial to getting to children on the streets before an abuser can and before they become entrenched in street life. At Cheka Sana, we race to get to children before the streets get to them.
When the COVID-19 crisis took hold, Cheka Sana had to respond quickly to an urgent and unprecedented demand for help from street-connected children and youth, young street girls, mothers and families caring for children. Meanwhile, the charity faced a loss of nearly 60% of the forecasted income.
Our latest Impact Report explains the key achievements and impact that our amazing staff, volunteers and supporters, who had worked tirelessly to help and support street-connected children and youth and their families when they needed us most.
The report also includes a message from Cheka Sana, Founder and Head of Foundation, Mr Mutani Yangwe, who thanks to the wonderful generosity of our valued supporters, who raised more than £17,000 in 2020 to support the children during the pandemic. It is true that life for everyone has been tough. For these street-connected children and youth, it has been tougher than most of us can imagine.
Highlights from the report include:
- 508 children supported through street outreach services and items of Personal Protective Equipment sourced and given to street-connected children.
- 32 children and youth provided with medical support, including the provision of 55 Community Health Funds cards to children, youth and siblings.
- 23 children re-integrated safely with their families.
- 91 children aged 9-14 received educational training in Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health.
- 16 HIV+ street-connected children provided with nutritional support to help them adhere to their antiretroviral therapy medication.
- 155 children and siblings provided with school support.
The report is also a huge thank you to our amazing supporters who have helped us in so many ways during a challenging fundraising year.
Cheka Sana’s programmes in Tanzania and Uganda have adapted and expanded to take on the challenges presented by COVID-19. The world and the way we work changed, but our mission to give street-connected children and youth the best chance to thrive at home was more important than ever. Whilst we have achieved so much, we must be ready to respond again in order to ensure our future in 2021 and beyond.
To find out more please download below the full impact report for January – March 2021
Follow us on!